Monday, October 1, 2007

Bugs on Rodeo Drive?


The weather was crap yesterday…so I did not end up going flying. Decided to walk around my neighborhood a bit more…find some place to go jogging…and ended up on a busy street that they call here “Rodeo Drive!” It is a place for shoppers…heaven for the hard-core and seriously dedicated shoppers…with a hefty size wallet! Which means…hell for me!!! I hate shopping!

The street is lined with one store after another…the shops spill out onto the sidewalk and street…with racks and racks of clothes that crowd the sidewalks. Plus, other street vendors have their little trucks and tables set up as well, selling every kind of clothing and accessory imagineable. Of course…these street vendors are much more affordable…and quite enjoy browsing and buying from them.

I’ve already found certain vendors that I continue to buy from…jeans and stuff from these ladies in the subway (they don’t annoy the crap out of me like the department store ladies do…that come over and breathe down the back of your neck, saying, “may I help you?” or “try this on,” “oh! that looks nice!” “oh! you should buy this!”…blah blah blah! Drives me nuts!)…socks and stockings from this old grandma who has her things laid out on the floor on a piece of cardboard, in the subway right before the turnstiles (she doesn’t rip me off) and bananas from this man who parks his truck on the corner street (1-2 bucks for a bunch of bananas!!! Can’t beat that!)

One food vendor was selling those little seashells…what are they called? The name slips my mind…they look like extremely miniature versions of conch shells…

He was also selling something else that resembles…ew!!! The creepy-crawlies!!! I have no idea what they are…they may not even be bugs! I just couldn’t tell!!! But they look nasty. They must be good as there were many people waiting to get a paper cup full of both these things. I was watching the others eating and realized that I must have been standing there for a moment too long…quite possibly with my mouth open…so…I took out my camera and took a picture and quickly walked away!

Maybe by the end of my trip I will try them… (shivering in disgust!) and maybe I’ll try dog too…(again…shivering in disgust!) never say never, right?

2 comments:

cho.haewon said...

try the bugs! they are good for you and full of protein! and guts! ewww. but what about those dried baby fishies mom stir fries? myul-chi/mae da chi? those look pretty creepy too, like little maggots and we love them! haha! i know dog is actually illegal in korea nowadays, but there are some restaurants that serve them still (off the menu). how about cats? (oh wait thats china). i love animals! they taste good!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Look like BUG larva to me.. G'ROOOSS! But, I guess when you're hurting for an extra protein boost...